Recently a new chilling game among young teens has been discovered and it is called ‘Blue Whale’. It is a disturbing ‘game’ which lasts 50 days. You receive a new challenge every day, getting progressively more graphic and sinister. By the end of the game, at day 50 the challenge, is to commit suicide to ‘win’ the game.
It originates from a Russian social network website VKontakte, the name being taken from the belief that whales end their own lives by voluntarily beaching themselves. Russian Media have blamed the Blue Whale game for the suicide of around 80-130 children between 2015 and 2016.
The website targets suicide groups on the network and selects vulnerable young teens, when the teen signs up they receive messages from an admin who assigns the daily tasks. These tasks are to degrade, depress and harm the person till they feel worthless and susceptible to suicide. If the teen decides to quit or doesn’t want to participate in a task the admin threatens them claiming to have access to all their personal details and that they will find them and will harm them. One investigator posing as a teen girl got access to the game and received the message “I have all your information, they will come after you.” when asked if she can quit. Another example of a teen being threatened to play the game is seen here, with threats made towards killing the parents also.
The Higgypop site revealed the full list of challenges:
Complete List Of Blue Whale Challenges
A Reddit user posted a completed list of tasks which were supposedly posted in a comment on a story about the game on a Russian news website. The list of 50 challenges has been translated from Russian.
1) Carve with a razor “f57” on your hand, send a photo to the curator.
2) Wake up at 4.20 a.m. and watch psychedelic and scary videos that the curator sends you.
3) Cut your arm with a razor along your veins, but not too deep, only 3 cuts, send a photo to the curator.
4) Draw a whale on a sheet of paper, send a photo to curator.
5) If you are ready to “become a whale”, carve “YES” on your leg. If not, cut yourself many times (punish yourself).
6) Task with a cipher.
7) Carve “f40” on your hand, send a photo to curator.
8) Type “#i_am_whale” in your VKontakte status.
9) You have to overcome your fear.
10) Wake up at 4:20 a.m. and go to a roof (the higher the better)
11) Carve a whale on your hand with a razor, send a photo to curator.
12) Watch psychedelic and horror videos all day.
13) Listen to music that “they” (curators) send you.
14) Cut your lip.
15) Poke your hand with a needle many times
16) Do something painful to yourself, make yourself sick.
17) Go to the highest roof you can find, stand on the edge for some time.
18) Go to a bridge, stand on the edge.
19) Climb up a crane or at least try to do it
20) The curator checks if you are trustworthy.
21) Have a talk “with a whale” (with another player like you or with a curator) in Skype.
22) Go to a roof and sit on the edge with your legs dangling.
23) Another task with a cipher.
24) Secret task.
25) Have a meeting with a “whale.”
26) The curator tells you the date of your death and you have to accept it.
27) Wake up at 4:20 a.m. and go to rails (visit any railroad that you can find).
28) Don’t talk to anyone all day.
29) Make a vow that “you’re a whale.”
30-49) Everyday you wake up at 4:20am, watch horror videos, listen to music that “they” send you, make 1 cut on your body per day, talk “to a whale.”
50) Jump off a high building. Take your life.
Hopefully now that the game has been revealed parents will be more aware of any strange behaviors with their children and the site will be taken down.