APPLICATIONS FOR THIS CATEGORY ARE OPEN FROM MARCH 1st 2021
It will be awarded to the best article which covers EU affairs and which was printed in a student publication in the year previous to the closing date of entries to the Smedia awards 2021* as published on the Student Marketing Network website http://www.oxygen.ie/smedias-2021/
Below is the list of areas that your article could incorporate. You must include at least one.
- EU’s response to the Coronavirus pandemic
- A European Green Deal to protect the Environment and Climate
- Protecting European Democracy (eg media freedom, external influence on elections)
- Europe and the Digital Age
- Rural Development, Agriculture and the CAP
- Europe’s Role in the World (eg trade, development aid, migration, diplomacy)
- The Future of Europe after Brexit
- EU & Me: opportunities created for young people (e.g. Erasmus, DiscoverEU, traineeships)
The EU Smedia Award is a written competition.
Entries must be in English and must include both a scan of the publication and a word version of the article.
The competition is open to all third level students in Ireland.
Only one entry per student is allowed and the work must be the student’s own.
The deadline for receipt of entries as per the Student Marketing Network rules
* If an article is submitted where the publication date is over 12 months it may be admitted on the discretion of the European Commission Representation.
Prize is a coveted Smedia award, a cash prize of €1,000 and your piece published in a regional or on-line newspaper.
There will be five students shortlisted and the winning student will be announced at the Smedias Ceremony at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
A jury will select the winning article based on the following criteria:
- Research into and knowledge demonstrated of chosen topic
- Originality and creativity
- Quality of writing and ease of reading
- Spelling and grammar
Covid-19: Public health advice suggests that it is best to limit contacts due to Covid-19. As a result of the pandemic, we encourage students to send links to their submissions via our online application form.
When attaching articles to the application form they must be in PDF format and named “CATEGORY NAME_YOUR NAME_1/2/3”
For our full list of Entry Guidelines see here.
Please Note: Payments for this category must be submitted here.
Closing date for applications is April 15th 2021.