It will be awarded to the best article which covers EU affairs and which was printed in a student publication in the year previous to the closing date of entries to the SMEDIAs 2023 as published on the Student Marketing Network website.
Below is the list of areas that your article could incorporate. You must include at least one.
- EU and its response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
- EU’s response to the energy crisis
- EU’s response to the Coronavirus pandemic
- A European Green Deal to protect the Environment and Climate
- Protecting European Democracy (eg media freedom, external influence on elections)
- Europe and the Digital Age
- Rural Development, Agriculture and the CAP
- Europe’s Role in the World (eg trade, development aid, migration, diplomacy)
- European Year of Skills 2023
The EU SMEDIA Award is a written competition.
Entries must be in English and must include both a scan of the publication and a word version of the article.
The competition is open to all third-level students in Ireland.
Only one entry per student is allowed and the work must be the student’s own.
The deadline for receipt of entries as per the Student Marketing Network rules
* If an article is submitted where the publication date is over 12 months it may be admitted on the discretion of the European Commission Representation.
There will be five students shortlisted and the winning student will be announced at the SMEDIAs Ceremony in 2023.
A jury will select the winning article based on the following criteria:
- Research into and knowledge demonstrated of the chosen topic
- Originality and creativity
- Quality of writing and ease of reading
- Spelling and grammar
We would prefer you to include a link to your article but if you are unable, please upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us. If you have any problems with submitting your work, get in touch with us at email@example.com.