Summer break is the perfect time for students to earn some money and gain valuable work experience. While we all need a well-deserved rest from a hectic year of study, a little bit of cash flow will enable us to enjoy our summer to the max.
Here are some ideal summer jobs for students that will bring in some money and bulk up your CV;
- Tour Guide: The Office of Public Works (OPW) recruits seasonal tour guides annually to work in their various heritage sites. With 91 sites throughout the country, they also employ fluent Irish speakers for certain roles. If you are a History or Irish major looking for some relevant experience in the field, working as a tour guide is ideal.
- Summer Camp Assistant: For teaching or childcare students, working at a super camp is an invaluable experience. Whatever your area of interest, there’s a summer camp for you. From sports camps like Parks Tennis and Let’s Go to performing arts camps such as StarCamp. There’s something to suit everyone! Whizzkids is a good shout for the IT enthusiast. Working at a summer camp enhances your communication and time-management skills along with your ability to work effectively with children of all ages. It can be great fun too.
- Retail: The retail sector hires staff year-round. Working as a sales assistant or as floor staff is a great way to develop your skills for dealing with members of the public. Ideally, try and look for jobs in shops that interest you.
- Hospitality: Again, working in a restaurant or hotel helps you to gain valuable experience in customer relations and dealing with the public. These roles often require you to think on your feet and have excellent time management.
- Babysitting: Children may be on their school holidays, but many parents still have to work. Babysitting or child-minding can be a very rewarding job for those interested in working with children. Often a driving licence and car may be required (you might need to bring the children places) and you must be reliable and trustworthy.
- Volunteering: Summer can provide a great opportunity to volunteer. Perhaps you need experience as a volunteer for your course or maybe you want to get involved in an area that interests you. Animal shelters and charity shops are always on the lookout for enthusiastic and bubbly people to assist them.
Want to write for us? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why write for us?:
Oxygen.ie is one of Ireland’s most popular student websites. That means your work will get a wide reach! It’s a brilliant opportunity for any student looking to build up their portfolio so they can break into the Irish media industry.
Getting your work published on Oxygen.ie also allows you to apply for a student media award. Oxygen.ie is part of Generation Y who hosts The National Student Media Awards. It’s the Oscars for student media producers!
Get in touch today to see if you have what it takes to join our team of contributors.