We have the secret to making the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich so never again will you end up with a toastie that’s burned on the outside but improperly melted on the inside! Whether you prefer white bread, wholewheat, or sourdough, cheddar, mozzarella, or something a little stronger in flavour like gruyère, this method is foolproof.
- Bread, sliced
- Softened butter, for spreading
- Canola, rapeseed or similar oil such as olive oil, sunflower oil (whatever you have to hand)
- Cheese, grated or sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and place a large pan to heat up over medium to medium high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Generously butter one side of each slice of bread all the way to the edges. Once pan is hot, place bread butter side down in pan to toast. Cook until golden brown underneath, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove toasted bread from pan and place toasted side down on a baking sheet. Arrange slices of cheese or spread evenly with grated cheese on all slices. Place in oven and bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sandwich slices together, pressing down on sandwich with a flat spatula to make sure cheese from both slices sticks. Serve immediately.
- Can be made with various breads, though some breads take longer to toast than others. You can also use various cheeses, but be sure to use ones that melt for best results, like cheddar, gouda, mozzarella etc. You can also add slices of tomato or first add slices of ham or similar before covering with cheese.
And there you have it! The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich.