The 18th annual National Student Media Awards are coming! Marking the best in student film, photography, journalism and design, The Smedias have been a consistent platform for students over the last 17 years upon which they can showcase their work, gain recognition, and further their careers. Application forms will be available soon – so watch this space.
Awards are offered in a wide range of categories, from radio production to film scripts, so there really is something here for everyone and competition is going to be as fierce as ever.
To register for the Smedias, simply send your name, e-mail address, phone number, college and the category you are entering to email@example.com before sending in your submission. You can preregister now by clicking here.
The closing date for entrants is March 15th 2018 at 5pm, and the winners will be announced in the fabulous Aviva Stadium on April 19th 2018.
All the rules are at the bottom of the page.
Last year’s categories are here!
A number of big companies supported us last year by sponsoring specific awards, including the following:
The address for applications is:
177 Lower Rathmines Road
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or give us a call at: (01) 5616694 or 0831492879
For more information, don’t hesitate to contact us here.
Entries for categories not operated through our online application process must be posted to the above address.
1. Unless otherwise stated, all work entered must have been published in the student media since March 15th 2017. Entries containing work that has been done by a student(s), but has been published on a platform not within the student media will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
2. Student Media Awards are not open to students who have worked professionally in the category into which they are entering (not including summer work and internships).
3. Unless otherwise stated, 3 different examples of your work must be submitted with the appropriate application form. Check the categories page carefully to make sure you are submitting the correct material to avoid disappointment.
4. The organisers cannot undertake the return of submissions as they are archived for reference purposes. Neither Oxygen nor the organising committee accept responsibility for any entries lost or damaged in transit.
5. Any publication that receives professional assistance in design, maintenance or production is not eligible to enter. This does not apply in the website of the year category where professional design help is allowed, but must be stated on the application form.
6. The closing date for completed, returned applications is 5.00pm, March 15th to SMEDIAS, Generation Y, 177 Lower Rathmines Road, Rathmines, Dublin 6. Please note- a printed application form from the website must accompany every entry, even when a student is entering multiple categories. (i.e. one form per entry)
7. Applications are submitted at the owner’s risk and cannot be returned.
8. Not a rule, but a suggestion. Cut out the articles you are submitting for the journalism and writer categories and paste them on a page – only A4 size will be accepted! This makes things much easier for the judges. And they’re the people you want to impress. Please don’t send torn pages from the newspaper with jagged edges and highlighter all over them.
9. Where specified, entries for categories including Radio, TV/Film and Photography can be entered through our online application form. For more information, please check the individual category page.
10. Each entry must be accompanied by a completed application form. This can be found online and downloaded. All application forms must be signed by the entrant, all application fees and support material included. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
11. In the case of a group entry [e.g. radio production or short film], please fill out the GROUP APPLICATION. Not the individual application. One form should be submitted for the entry signed, by the primary applicant, on behalf of the group. All members must be students in the stated college. This form should contain names of all members of the group. There is no need for each member of the group to fill in separate individual forms.
12. The fee per entry, per category is €15 for the first submission. So if you, or your group, enter one category the cost is €15. If you, or your group, enter one or more categories, you/your group must pay €10 per additional entry. (For example, one submission is €15, two submissions is €25, three submissions is €35, etc.)
13. This contest is open to full-time students of the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
14. The judges’ decision is final. No entries will be returned and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the judging of the competition.
15. The winners will be announced on the 19th of April at the Aviva stadium.
16. The Student Media Awards are produced and run by Oxygen. Oxygen reserves the right to change the rules without notice.
17. This is important: You may only enter a category once. But you can however enter as many categories as you like. You may also submit the same content in multiple categories where you feel it is also relevant e.g. using the same article in multiple journalism categories.
18. Any attempt to contact or canvas judges will result in immediate disqualification from this and future Student Media Awards.
19. The organisers of the awards may request proof from applicants that they are full-time students, or otherwise conforming to the criteria specified in category descriptions regarding their full-time professional or academic status.